A (somewhat) honest look at what it's like to be a single, Christian woman in her mid 30s in Sydney who wants to remain true to the life that God has planned for her but doesn't want to let go of her dream of being in a relationship again and eventually being a wife and mother

Monday 21 February 2011

-296 A cord of three strands can't be broken ( Sunday 20th February 2011 )

Photo by Getideaka
"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12

This verse was spoken by someone who was sharing in Church this morning, in reference to his marriage and ministry, and to be truthful I was only half listening because I was mucking around with the new Bible software on my iPad and was a little distracted. However this verse penetrated my brain for a reason today. 

I was at the local shopping centre after Church partly avoiding going to an empty flat and also getting my 10 000 steps a day up at the same time, when I spied another single acquaintance from Church one of the stores.

We had a coffee ( ok, well I had a coffee ) and I caught up on her latest foray into the dating world ( too soon too fast and the guy seemed to be a SASFAGR in my opinion ). But we had an interesting conversation about falling in love with and marrying a non Christian.

I know all the reasons for and against and the usual arguments and the Biblical standpoints and as my aquaintance pointed out there are no guarantees that even by marrying a Christian man that they will stay a Christian. But.....

I am reminded of that verse; 

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:12 

I think I have come to the realisation that like it or not I have already made a choice that I do want to marry a Christian man where he can be one strand, I can be one and that God can be the one that binds us together from the outset to make us strong together. I know you can't control whether the other person cuts their strand - if The Non Bachelor and I were married and he chose to walk away from God like he did as we were breaking up, I may have been in a marriage that tested that theory. But I know that I would rather begin a marriage from the beginning with that third cord in our strand not praying that it can be accepted to be added during the marriage. I also can't imagine not being able to share a massive part of my life with my husband and have him understand and make a difference for His kingdom together.

So while the outright acknowledgment of this for me is a bit scary because essentially when thinking from a worldview perspective I'm cutting out a huge number of men here - I know that for me this is right.

I'm not expecting a perfect Christian man after all I'm not perfect, I've walked in small and large deserts over the past 15 years but if he is willing to be in a marriage with me and God, the three of us together then that's what am going to continually pray for until I have that ring on my finger just like that vision  I had or until I hear "Well done, good and faithful servant"  :)

xMiss365


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...